My family’s secret recipe is out!
My Gram’s secret recipe. She made the best meatloaf. I promise you, you will love this recipe. The vegetables and spices cook together to make a savory, moist, and wholesome meatloaf. The best part about this meatloaf is it makes great sandwiches the next day. Let’s get right to it.
- 1 to 1½ pounds hamburger meat (or 2 cups of lentils for vegetarians or vegans).
- 3 bread slices, toasted at 200 degrees. Then, ground up the bread by hand, use a kitchen gadget, or use a little food processor. Or you can use ¾ cup of store bought breadcrumbs.
- 1 or 2 cloves garlic (depending on your taste for garlic).
- 1 teaspoon parsley (fresh or dried).
- 1 teaspoon basil (fresh or dried).
- ½ teaspoon celery seed spice (or you can use real celery, cut up fine).
- Fresh ground salt and pepper ~ to taste.
- ¾ cup to 1 cup chopped tomatoes. You can also use canned tomatoes (puree sauce or crushed tomatoes).
- 1 to 2 teaspoon olive oil.
- ½ – ¾ cup chopped onion.
- 1 “flax seed” egg or regular egg.
- Other veggie ideas: use green peppers, mushrooms, zucchini, or grated carrots.
There is no need to use ketchup or milk, unless it suits you.
- In a large bowl, scramble the egg first (it is hard to scramble an egg when it is in a bowl with other ingredients).
- In a separate (smaller) bowl, mix your breadcrumbs and with the spices per your taste.
- Cut up the onion, green pepper, and mushrooms into little pieces. In my experience, if you use larger pieces, the onion and green pepper will not cook all the way.
- Now, wash your hands, roll up your sleeves, and put your meat in the larger bowl (with the beaten egg).
- Add your ingredients—mixed spices and bread, olive oil, veggies, and ½ of the chopped tomato—and squish together with your hands.
- Put the mixture in a pan like those used for making banana bread, or a square glass dish. Make sure you spray with a non-stick cooking spray first.
- Drizzle the rest of the chopped tomatoes on top. This is the secret that makes your meatloaf so moist.
Mix your dry ingredients together separately, and handle your wet ingredients last (so you are not touching all your spice containers with yucky hands).
Cooking temperature and duration
Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes.
If you have a chance to try this recipe, please leave your comments below and tell me how your meatloaf tasted!